war englannista suomeksi
(RQ:Ford Life and Work)
1944 June 27, (w), speech in Chicago, Illinois, to the Republican National Convention|23rd Republican National Convention; quoted in Linda Carol Harms Case, ''Bold Beliefs in Camouflage: A–Z Briefings: A Valuable Resource Highlighting an Extraordinary Collection of Prayers, Military Quotations, Scripture Verses, Bible Stories, Hymns, and Testimonies, Relevant to Core Values and Keywords Used by Chaplains, Leaders, Veterans, and Other Members of the American Armed Forces'', Victoria, B.C.; Neche, N.D.: FriesenPress, January 2013, Standard Book Number|ISBN 978-1-77097-632-0, page 203:
- Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. It is youth who must inherit the tribulation, the sorrow and the triumphs that are the aftermath of war.
(quote-song); (w)| title=(Edwin Starr song)|War| album=& Peace (Edwin Starr album)|War & Peace|artist=(w)| year=1969| passage=War, huh, good God / What is it good for? / Absolutely nothing, listen to me / Oh, war, I despise / 'Cause it means destruction of innocent lives / War means tears to thousands of mothers eyes / When their sons go off to fight and lose their lives
2007, Carlos Ramirez-Faria, ''Concise Encyclopaedia of World History'':
- Germany declared war on France, who reciprocated, on August 3 1939, and England declared war on Germany on August 4, when Belgium was already under invasion.
(quote-journal)|date=20 July 2013|volume=408|issue=8845|passage=Whether modern, industrial man is less or more warlike than his hunter-gatherer ancestors is impossible to determine. (..) One thing that is true, though, is that murder rates have fallen over the centuries, as policing has spread and the routine carrying of weapons has diminished. Modern society may not have done anything about war. But peace is a lot more peaceful.
A particular conflict of this kind.
1865, (w), "The Surrender at Appomattox":
- All human tribes glad token see
- In the close of the wars of (w) and (w).
1999, (w) at Georgetown University, Washington, D.C, November 8 1999:
- A second challenge will be to implement, with our allies, a plan of stability in the Balkans, so that the region's bitter ethnic problems can no longer be exploited by dictators and Americans do not have to cross the Atlantic again to fight in another war.
Any conflict, or anything resembling a conflict.
A campaign against something.
''The "war on drugs" is a campaign against the use of narcotic drugs.''
''The "war on terror" is a campaign against terrorist crime.''
''In the US, conservatives rail against the "war on Christmas".''
''I reaped the benefit of the car dealerships' price war, getting my car for far less than it's worth.''
''The cellular phone companies were engaged in a freebie war, each offering various services thrown in when one purchased a plan.''
Instruments of war.
(RQ:Prior Poetical Works)
(RQ:Milton Paradise Lost)
1595, (w), ''The First Four Books of the Civil Wars''
- To war the Scot, and borders to defend.
(RQ:Shakespeare Henry 5)
1882, (w), ''Cashel Byron's Profession'', ch. 14:
- This vein of reflection, warring with his inner knowledge that he had been driven by fear and hatred . . ., produced an exhausting whirl in his thoughts.
(quote-song)|title=Higher Ground|year=1973|album=Innervisions|passage=People keep on learning / Soldiers keep on warring / World keep on turning / 'Cause it won't be too long
To carry on, as a contest; to wage.
(RQ:KJV), that thou by them mighteſt warre a good warfare,(nb..).
2016, Josien Wolthuizen & Hanneloes Pen, "Man doodgestoken in fietsenwinkel Nieuw-West", in ''Het Parool'', March 15 2016.
- Volgens een bovenbuurvrouw kwamen hulpdiensten rond 12 uur 's middags naar de fietsenwinkel. "Ik had geen idee wat er aan de hand was. Maar de zoon van de eigenaar kwam eraan en was helemaal in de war. (...)"
2016, "Wist je dat papierklemmen je leven veel gemakkelijker kunnen maken?", in ''Het Laatste Nieuws'', January 29 2016.
- Van statief voor je smartphone tot instrument om oortjes uit de war te houden, tot zelfs een portefeuille. De mogelijkheden met papierklemmen zijn eindeloos, maar de Japanner Venlee geeft je alvast 15 lifehacks.
an elevated area on the floor of a body of water, a kind of contraption for luring and catching fish, where nets and fykes could be installed
1949, G. Karsten. ‘Eenvorme, Informe, Yefforme’, ''De Speelwagen'' 10, no. 4: 307.
- Welnu, deze stoepen of warren bevonden zich aan de walkant en niet midden in het water.
1667, ''Handtvesten, privilegien, willekeuren ende ordonnantien der Stadt Enchuysen'', p. 345.
- De Schutters van de respective Steden, werden geauctoriseert, alle de Fuycken, buyten de benoemde Warren in de Wateringh staende, te mogen visiteren, of de selve keur mogen houden ofte niet, (...)
where, in what place
(verb form of)
(l), (w) (unit of electrical power)
(inflection of); were