over englannista suomeksi
kylään, toisella puolella
ohi, ohi oleva, lopussa
''The show is over.''
- During the whole time of his abode in the university he generally spent thirteen hours of the day in study; by which assiduity besides an exact dispatch of the whole course of philosophy, he read over in a manner all classic authors that are extant(..)
''I'm not over-enthusiastic about this.''
From one side of something to another, passing above it.
Again; another time; once more; over again.
A set of six legal balls bowled.
Any surplus amount of money, goods delivered, etc.
2008, G. Puttick, Sandy van Esch, ''The Principles and Practice of Auditing'' (page 609)
- (..) standard cash count forms used to record the count and any overs or unders.
(RQ:Longfellow Miles Standis)
- Over them gleamed far off the crimson banners of morning.
Across or spanning.
1918, (w), ''Sick I Am and Sorrowful''
- If I saw the wild geese fly over the dark lakes of Kerry...
In such a way as to cover.
More than; to a greater degree.
As compared to.
''The owner's son lorded over the experienced managers.''
''The prince ruled over a portion of the kingdom.''
9♦9♠9♣6♥6♠ = nines over sixes
1990, (w), ''Coming to Terms'', University Press|Cornell, (ISBN), page 100http://books.google.com/books?id=loD1JXOtmTYC&pg=PA100&dq=relax:
- Six diners in business clothes—five attractive young women and a balding middle-aged man—relax over cigarettes.
1998, Marian Swerdlow, ''Underground Woman'', University Press|Temple, (ISBN), page 88 http://books.google.com/books?id=jIK3DGkOwYkC&pg=PA88&dq=croissants:
- Sunday had been my favorite day at Woodlawn. A long W.A.A.
2009, Sara Pennypacker, ''The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery'', Corporation|Scholastic, (ISBN), page 79:
- Over meatloaf and mashed potatoes (being careful not to talk with his mouth full), Stanley told about his adventure.
Above, implying superiority after a contest; in spite of; notwithstanding.
''Bravo Six, this is Bravo Six Four. Stand by for ten mike report one dash three, over.''
''Bravo Six Four, this is Bravo Six Actual. Send your traffic, over.''
''How do you receive? Over!''
To go over, or jump over.
''He overed the fence in good style.''
To run about.
''The cattle have been overing all day because of the flies.''
1338, Robert Mannyng, (w)
- Cassibola was ready at Dover, & renged (encamped) his men by the over.
The (l) (l) (l) of a (l) or a similar food.
Jeg foretrækker overen.
I prefer the top slice.
A (l) of six (l) (l) (l), an (l).
(l) (implying motion)
''Kijk uit, er steekt een hond de straat over.''
Look out, a dog is crossing over the street.
''Na het feest was er bijna geen eten meer over.''
After the party there was barely any food remaining.
passing by, going away
''De pijn gaat weer over.''
The pain is going away again.
Denotes an imitative action, again, once again,
''Ik schrijf je brief over''.
I will transcribe your letter.
ago, some duration in the past
across, on the other side
plenty, more than enough
across, moving through or over something
''over dat rode mêr'' - across the Red Sea
across, moving to the other side of something
''over alle lant'' - all across the lands / in every land
across, situated on the other side of
''over deme watere'' - across the water
while, over the duration of
''over deme werke begripen'' - while working on something
''over deme dische'' - at the table
over (finished, ceased)