while englannista suomeksi
An uncertain duration of time, a period of time.
(quote-book)|title=and Memories|passage=Do the good that's nearest Though it's dull at whiles.
During the same time that.
1948, McWilliams (journalist)|Carey McWilliams, ''North from Mexico / The Spanish-Speaking People of The United States'', J. B. Lippincott Company, page 25,
- While De Anza was exploring the Bay of San Francisco, seeking a site for the presidio, the American colonists on the eastern seaboard, three thousand miles away, were celebrating the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
(quote-journal)| title=Fantasy of navigation| passage=Like most human activities, ballooning has sponsored heroes and hucksters and a good deal in between. For every dedicated scientist patiently recording atmospheric pressure and wind speed while shivering at high altitudes, there is a carnival barker with a bevy of pretty girls willing to dangle from a basket or parachute down to earth.
2013 September 28, (w), "London Is Special, but Not That Special," ''New York Times'' (retrieved 28 September 2013):
- While Britain’s recession has been deep and unforgiving, in London it has been relatively shallow.
- Use your memory; you will sensibly experience a gradual improvement, while you take care not to load it to excess.
(RQ:Beaumont Fletcher Comedies and Tragedies)
- I may be conveyed into your chamber; I'll lie under your bed while midnight.
(RQ:Longfellow Tales of a Wayside In)
- The lovely lady whiled the hours away.
To occupy or entertain (someone) in order to let time pass.