after englannista suomeksi
takana oleva, takana
(quote-book)|title=(w)|chapter=1|passage=I was about to say that I had known the Celebrity from the time he wore kilts. But I see I will have to amend that, because he was not a celebrity then, nor, indeed, did he achieve fame until some time after I left New York for the West.
(quote-journal)|title=The new masters and commanders|passage=From the ground, Colombo’s port does not look like much. Those entering it are greeted by wire fences, walls dating back to colonial times and security posts. For mariners leaving the port after lonely nights on the high seas, the delights of the B52 Night Club and Stallion Pub lie a stumble away.
(quote-book)|title=(w)|chapter=5|passage=Then came a maid with hand-bag and shawls, and after her a tall young lady. She stood for a moment holding her skirt above the grimy steps,(..), and the light of the reflector fell full upon her.
1735, ''The Sportsman's Dictionary''
- Work your horse in a calade, after the Italian way; ride him straight, and then you make good use of the calade.
As a result of.
''I can't believe that, after all our advice against gambling, you walked into that casino!''
(quote-journal)|volume=1|year=1906|passage=Mother: Let him get away out of this now, himself and his share of songs. Look at the way he has your bib destroyed that I was after washing in the morning!
to|According to an author or text.
''to look after workmen; to enquire after a friend; to thirst after righteousness''
According to the direction and influence of; in proportion to; befitting.
- He takes greatness of kingdoms according to bulk and currency, and not after their intrinsic value.
1991, Donald "Shadow" Rimgale (character), (w) (actor), ''(w)''
- So you punched out a window for ventilation. Was that before or after you noticed you were standing in a lake of gasoline?
(quote-journal)|passage=Plant breeding is always a numbers game.(..)The wild species we use are rich in genetic variation, …. In addition, we are looking for rare alleles, so the more plants we try, the better. These rarities may be new mutations, or they can be existing ones that are neutral—or are even selected against—in a wild population. A good example is mutations that disrupt seed dispersal, leaving the seeds on the heads long after they are ripe.
1834, (w), ''A Narrative of the Life of'', Nebraska 1987, page 72:
- I did verily believe in my own mind, that I couldn't fight in that way at all; but my after experience convinced me that this was all a notion.
1886, (w), ''(w)''
- The amends he had made in after life were lost sight of in the dramatic glare of the original act.
(quote-book)|title=(w)|chapter=1|passage=In the old days, …, he gave no evidences of genius whatsoever. He never read me any of his manuscripts, …, and therefore my lack of detection of his promise may in some degree be pardoned. But he had then none of the oddities and mannerisms which I hold to be inseparable from genius, and which struck my attention in after days when I came in contact with the Celebrity.
At or towards the stern of a ship.
1853, Gustav Eduard Benseler, ''Geschichte Freibergs und seines Bergbaues. Erste Abtheilung'', Freiberg, pg. 251:
- Nun fragte der Forderer weiter an: wer irgend einen von ihnen after dem Tage hause oder hofe, d. h. zu Hause oder Hofe beherberge, wie der ihm zu Rechte bestanden sein. ... Auf die fernere Frage des Forderers: ob er ihrer einen after dem Tage ansichtig werde, wie oder mit wem er sie aufhalten sollte, erklärte man ihm (..)
(alternative form of)
(alternative form of)