skill englannista suomeksi
(RQ:Shakespeare Merry Wives)
(RQ:Jefferies Amateur Poacher)
(quote-journal)|volume=189|issue=26|page=43|magazine=(w)|title=Araucaria's last puzzle: crossword master dies|url=https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/2013/nov/26/araucaria-puzzle-crossword-master-dies|passage=The skill was not in creating a grid full of words, but in producing clues cryptic enough to baffle the puzzler, yet constructed so honestly that they could be solved by any intelligent person who knew the conventions.
Discrimination; judgment; propriety; reason; cause.
1590, (w), ''(w)'', Book II, Hackett, 2006, Canto I, Stanza 54, lines 1-5, p. 21,
- Him so I sought, and so at last I fownd
- Where him that witch had thralled to her will,
- In chaines of lust and lewde desyres ybownd
- And so transformed from his former skill,
- That me he knew not, nether his owne ill;
c. 1605, (w), ''(w)'', Act IV, Scene 7,http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/play_view.php?WorkID=kinglear&Scope=entire&pleasewait=1&msg=pl
- Methinks I should know you, and know this man;
- Yet I am doubtful; for I am mainly ignorant
- What place this is; and all the skill I have
- Remembers not these garments; nor I know not
- Where I did lodge last night. (..)
1590, (w), ''(w)'', Book III, Hackett, 2006, Canto III, Stanza 45, lines 4-5, p. 62,
- And ''Howell Dha'' shall goodly well indew
- The salvage minds with skill of just and trew;
1674, (w), ''(w)'', Book II,http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/26/pg26-images.html
- (..) This desert soil
- Wants not her hidden lustre, gems and gold;
- Nor want we skill or art from whence to raise
- Magnificence (..)
Display of art; exercise of ability; contrivance; address.
1639, (w), ''The Historie of the Holy Warre'', Book III, Chapter VI,https://archive.org/details/historyofholywar00fullrich, https://books.google.ca/books?id=wYE4AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcoverv=onepage&q&f=false
- Richard was well stored with men, the bones, and quickly got money, the sinews of warre; by a thousand princely skills gathering so much coin as if he meant not to return, because looking back would unbowe his resolution.
1987, Teresa Maughan, ''Letters'' (in ''Your Sinclair'' issue 18, June 1987)
- Well, unfortunately for you, my dearest Waggipoos, I'm much more skill than you!
1991, ''Wreckers'' (video game review in ''Crash'' issue 88, May 1991)
- This game is skill. Remember that because it's going to sound really complicated.
1999, "Andy Smith", ''I am well skill'' (on Internet newsgroup ''alt.digitiser'')
- And I am skiller than you.
To set apart; separate.
To discern; have knowledge or understanding; to know how (to).
1633, (w), “Justice,” in ''The Temple'',https://archive.org/details/worksofgeorgeher00herbiala
- I cannot skill of these Thy ways (..)
1613, Breadalbane Letters and Documents
- As for the virginals I have none here that skill of them, except the young lord.
17th century, (w), “On Industry in Our Particular Calling as Scholars,”
- (..) to skill the arts of expressing our mind and imparting our conceptions with advantage, so as to instruct or persuade others (..)
To have knowledge or comprehension; discern.
To have personal or practical knowledge; be versed or practised; be expert or dextrous.
1592, Richard Turnbull, ''An Exposition upon the Canonicall Epistle of Saint Jude'', London: John Windet, Sermon 5, p. 67,https://books.google.ca/books?id=His7AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcoverv=onepage&q&f=false
- So then the whole scripture of God, being true, whence soever this be delivered and gathered, it skilleth not (..)
c. 1599, (w), ''(w)'', Act V, Scene 1,http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/play_view.php?WorkID=12night&Scope=entire&pleasewait=1&msg=pl
- (..) I should have given’t you to-day morning, but as a madman’s epistles are no gospels, so it skills not much when they are delivered.
1633, (w), “The Church Porch,” in ''The Temple'',https://archive.org/details/worksofgeorgeher00herbiala
- What skills it, if a bag of stones or gold
- About thy neck do drown thee?
1820, (w), ''(w)'', Chapter 42,http://www.gutenberg.org/files/82/82-h/82-h.htm
- But it skills not talking of it.
To spend acquired points in exchange for skills.