wonder englannista suomeksi
(quote-book)|chapter=8| title=http://openlibrary.org/works/OL5535161W Mr. Pratt's Patients| passage=That concertina was a wonder in its way. The handles that was on it first was wore out long ago, and he'd made new ones of braided rope yarn. And the bellows was patched in more places than a cranberry picker's overalls.
(rfdatek), ''(w)'' (section 155d)
- Socrates: I see, my dear Theaetetus, that Theodorus had a true insight into your nature when he said that you were a philosopher, for wonder is the feeling of a philosopher, and philosophy begins in wonder. He was not a bad genealogist who said that Iris (the messenger of heaven) is the child of Thaumas (wonder).
Bible, (w) iii. 10
- They were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.
1781, (w), ''The Lives of the Most Eminent English Poets''
- All wonder is the effect of novelty upon ignorance.
A mental pondering, a thought.
- I could not sufficiently wonder at the intrepidity of these diminutive mortals.
- We cease to wonder at what we understand.
(quote-book)| title=(w)|chapter=4| passage=The Celebrity, by arts unknown, induced Mrs. Judge Short and two other ladies to call at Mohair on an afternoon when Mr. Cooke was trying a trotter on the track. The three returned wondering and charmed with Mrs. Cooke; they were sure she had had no hand in the furnishing of that atrocious house.