fool englannista suomeksi
höhlä, idiootti, typerys
pöhkö, pöllö, pöljä, houkka
''You were a fool to cross that busy road without looking.''
''The village fool threw his own shoes down the well.''
- Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other.
1841, Charles Dickens, ''Barnaby Rudge'' Chapter 13
- ‘If I coloured at all, Mr Edward,’ said Joe, ‘which I didn’t know I did, it was to think I should have been such a fool as ever to have any hope of her. She’s as far out of my reach as—as Heaven is.’
1895, (w), ''and Fairies/If—|If—''
- If you can bear to hear the truth you've spokenTwisted by knaves to make a trap for fools
2001, (w), ''(w)''
- You're just a poor misguided foolWho thinks they know what I should doA line for me and a line for youI lose my right to a point of view.
2008, (w), ''Crazy for You''
- And every time I'm meant to be acting sensibleYou drift into my headAnd turn me into a crumbling fool.
1896, Frederick Peterson IN ''Popular Science Monthly'' Volume 50 December 1896 , ''Idiots Savants''
- This court fool could say bright things on occasion, but his main use to the ladies and lords of the palace was to serve as victim to practical jokes, cruel, coarse, and vulgar enough to be appreciated perhaps in the Bowery.
Someone who derives pleasure from something specified.
1671, (w), ''Samson Agonistes''
- Can they think me (..) their fool or jester?
1975, Foghat, "Fool for the City" (song), ''Fool for the City'' (album):
- I'm a fool for the city.
2010, G.C. Deuce, ''From the Gutter to the Grave: An American Hood Novel'', Xlibris Corporation ((ISBN)), page 291:
- Upon opening the door, Trech was suddenly drawn aback by the shocking presence of the armed goon standing directly in front of him. “Yo, what up fool? (..)”
2012, Peron Long, ''Livin' Ain't Easy'', Urban Books ((ISBN))
- “What up, fool?” he finally responded. “Not too much; fell asleep watching your boys get their asses kicked,” I told him, referring to the Carolina Cougars, the last team he played for before he got sick.
2014, Hitta Lo, ''Bracing Season I'', Kaleidoscopic Publishing ((ISBN))
- Fame leaves out the house and walks to the BP gas station on Alabama Avenue. On the way there he sees his man Mark posted up at the rec center and walks over to holla at him. “What’s up fool?” Mark says while dapping Fame up.
2018, Keith L. Bell, ''Drought Season Over: The Sequel'', Xlibris Corporation ((ISBN))
- “What up fool?” Lil Slim said noticing the seriousness in Lil Kilo’s voice. “You ain’t switched up on us have you.” Lil Fresh looked at Lil Kilo like where that come from. “Nigga I’ll neva switch up.” Lil Slim said feeling a little offended.
2020, J. Lewis Johnson, A Dark Night in the Fieldhouse'':
- 10: "I knew you'd be scared," Reggie laughed. "What are you doin', foo? You must be crazy. You don't scare me." "Then why did you almost fall out of that chair? I scare everyone."
- 38: "This is coo," said Fred. "It's almost like being there." "We are there, foo!" said Reggie as the boys slapped palms.
''an apricot fool; a gooseberry fool''
1918, Florence White Williams, ''The Little Red Hen''
- She bit it gently and found that it resembled a worm in no way whatsoever as to taste although because it was long and slender, a Little Red Hen might easily be fooled by its appearance.
(quote-book)|chapter=Personal observations on the reliability of the Shuttle|passage=There appears to be no process of gradually fooling oneself while degrading standards so characteristic of the Solid Rocket Booster or Space Shuttle Main Engine safety systems.
1681/1682, (w), ''The Spanish Fryar''
- Is this a time for fooling?
1972, Judy Blume, ''Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing'' (page 56)
- She's always complaining that she got stuck with the worst possible committee. And that me and Jimmy fool more than we work.
2011, Gayle Kaye, ''Sheriff Takes a Bride''
- That was a fool thing to do. You could have gotten yourself shot
1909, Gene Stratton-Porter, ''A Girl of the Limberlost''
- Of all the fool, fruitless jobs, making anything of a creature that begins by deceiving her, is the foolest a sane woman ever undertook.