cheer englannista suomeksi
huutaa eläköötä, hurrata
hurraahuuto, kannustushuuto, hyvä-huuto
(RQ:Shakespeare Richard 3)
That which promotes good spirits or cheerfulness; provisions prepared for a feast; entertainment.
1828, James Hogg, ''Mary Burnet''
- "And am I to meet my Mary at Moffat? Come away, little, dear, welcome body, thou blessed of heaven, come away, and taste of an auld shepherd's best cheer, and I'll gang foot for foot with you to Moffat, and my auld wife shall gang foot for foot with us too. I tell you, little, blessed, and welcome crile, come along with me."
(quote-book)| chapter=1| title=A Cuckoo in the Nest| passage=“(..)the awfully hearty sort of Christmas cards that people do send to other people that they don't know at all well. You know. The kind that have mottoes like Here's rattling good luck and roaring good cheer, / With lashings of food and great hogsheads of beer.(nb..).”
(RQ:Tennyson Enoch Arden)
Cheerleading, especially when practiced as a competitive sport.
(RQ:Florio Montaigne Essayes), and with teares trickling downe his blubbered eyes.
1596, (w), ''(w)'', V.7:
- ‘thorough evill rest of this last night, / Or ill apayd or much dismayd ye be; / That by your change of cheare is easie for to see.’
1526, (w), trans. ''Bible'', (w) VI:
- And anon he talked with them, and sayde unto them: be of good chere, it is I, be not afrayed.
- The parents(..)fled away with heavy cheer.
''We were cheered by the offer of a cup of tea.''
To infuse life, courage, animation, or hope, into; to inspirit; to solace or comfort.
- The proud he tam'd, the penitent he cheer'd.
''The crowd cheered in support of the athletes.''
''The crowd cheered the athletes.''
1999, Jim Lord and Chris Calvert. ''Cheerleading: Where Does Your Gym Fit In?''.
- ...Perspective sic gym cheer programs must address how to support a cheer program while maintaining appropriate and safe skill progressions.
- Last year, more than 75,000 high school participants took part in cheerleading competitions, and the National Federation of State High School Associations says that "competitive cheer" is the fastest growing sport for girls.
2018, Chad Thompson. ''Iowa Central cheer team is tops at national competition'' in The Messenger.
- The Iowa Central Community College cheer team has achieved something no other college in Iowa has before.