quack englannista suomeksi
(senseid) A fraudulent healer or incompetent professional; especially, a doctor of medicine who makes false diagnoses or inappropriate treatment; an impostor who claims to have qualifications to practice medicine. (defdate)
(RQ:Ford The Fancies Chaste and Nobl)
- The very quack of fashions, the very he that / Wears a stiletto on his chin.
1662, ''Rump: or an Exact Collection of the Choycest Poems and Songs Relating to Late Times, Vol. II'', by ‘the most Eminent Wits’
- Tis hard to say, how much these Arse-wormes do urge us, We now need no Quack but these Jacks for to purge us, ...
- ‘if we are ourselves valets, there shall ‘exist no hero for us; we shall not know the hero when we see him;’ - we shall take the quack for a hero; and cry, audibly through all ballot-boxes and machinery whatsoever, Thou art he; be thou King over us!
(RQ:Gilbert and Sullivan Mikado)
1981, ''(film)|S.O.B.'' (film):
- ''Polly'' (to security guard, referring to Dr. Feingarten): Are you going to let that shyster in there?
- ''Dr. Feingarten'': I could sue you, Polly. A shyster is a disreputable lawyer. I'm a quack.
1722, (w), ''(w),'' London: E. Nutt ''et al.,'' p.(nbs)36,https://archive.org/details/b30518362/page/36/mode/1up
- (..) it is incredible, and scarce to be imagin’d, how the Posts of Houses, and Corners of Streets were plaster’d over with Doctors Bills, and Papers of ignorant Fellows; quacking and tampering in Physick, and inviting the People to come to them for Remedies;
1684, (w), ''(w),'' London, Part(nbs)3, Canto(nbs)1, p.(nbs)18,http://name.umdl.umich.edu/A30770.0001.001
- Seek out for Plants with Signatures
- To Quack of Universal Cures
(quote-book)|year=1997|page=506|pageurl=https://books.google.com/books?id=Twv6XOvoBFYC&pg=PA506|isbn=978-0-571-16996-2|passage=Hogarth|William Hogarth might have felt some sympathy for Mapp|Sally Mapp as an 'irregular' expert besting pomposity, but this is topped by his sheer relish for her as the Quackest Quack of all, and female to boot. In Hogarth's print the dark goddess rules over her court of fools, men who have taken over the ancient realm of women's healing, and now profit from the people's ills and credulity.