tool englannista suomeksi
(senseid)A mechanical device intended to make a task easier.
Any piece of equipment used in a profession, e.g. a craftman's tools.
(quote-journal)|title=Pixels or Perish|url=http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/pixels-or-perish|passage=Drawings and pictures are more than mere ornaments in scientific discourse. Blackboard sketches, geological maps, diagrams of molecular structure, astronomical photographs, MRI images, the many varieties of statistical charts and graphs: These pictorial devices are indispensable tools for presenting evidence, for explaining a theory, for telling a story.
(quote-journal)|title=Focus on Everything|url=http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/2013/4/focus-on-everything|passage=Not long ago, it was difficult to produce photographs of tiny creatures with every part in focus.(..)A photo processing technique called focus stacking has changed that. Developed as a tool to electronically combine the sharpest bits of multiple digital images, focus stacking is a boon to biologists seeking full focus on a micron scale.
A piece of software used to develop software or hardware, or to perform low-level operations.
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
An obnoxious or uptight person.
A penis, notably with a sexual or erotic connotation.
(quote-song)|title=Goons|album=Compact Burna|date=01-02-2019|note=track 13|url=https://genius.com/Burna-bandz-goons-lyrics|passage=She wanna hang with the goonsShe wanna party midnight till noonShe wanna play with my tool
(quote-song)|title=Goons|album=Compact Burna|date=01-02-2019|note=track 13|url=https://genius.com/Burna-bandz-goons-lyrics|passage=In my city keep a toolLil nigga you know the rules
To work on or shape with tools, e.g., ''hand-tooled leather''.
To equip with tools.
To work very hard.
1965, Matt Fichtenbaum and Dan Murphy, “The Institute Screw” in ''The Broadside of Boston'', vol. III, No. 22:
- Do this lab and read this book, now tool, one and all,And be sure and pass that final quiz or be screwed right to the wall.
To down another person (possibly in a subtle, hidden way), and in that way to use him or her to meet a goal.
''Dude, he's not your friend. He's just tooling you.''
1850s, Cuthbert M. Bede, ''The Adventures of Mr. Verdant Green''
- Among those who seemed disposed to join in this opinion was the Jehu of the Warwickshire coach, who expressed his conviction to our hero, that "he wos a young gent as had much himproved hisself since he tooled him up to the Warsity with his guvnor."
March 8, 1890, Byron P. Stephenson, "My Trip to Brazil", in ''Illustrated American''
- boys on their bicycles tooling along the well-kept roads
2011, (w), ''Rivers of London'', Gollancz 2011, page 324:
- These are the guys that tool around in Mercedes Sprinter vans with equipment lockers stuffed with everything from riot helmets to tasers.
1968, Peet Vallak, ''Tuuled ümber maja: Novellivalimik'', page 200:
- Siis läks kogu ta vallasvara oksjonile ning mõni siiasiginenud tool, laud, voodi, kapp ja sööginõud olid nüüd seaduslikult naise-ema omad.
- : Then all his personal property was put up for auction and any chair, table, bed, or dishes he had taken possession now belonged legitimately to his mother-in-law.
A device used for torturing or interrogration.
(senseid) (alt form).