substance englannista suomeksi
substanssi, aine, materia
1699, (w), ''Heads designed for an essay on conversations''
- Study gives strength to the mind; conversation, grace: the first apt to give stiffness, the other suppleness: one gives substance and form to the statue, the other polishes it.
The essential part of anything; the most vital part.
- Heroic virtue did his actions guide, / And he the substance, not the appearance, chose.
- This edition is the same in substance with the Latin.
1796, (w), ''(w)''
- It is insolent in words, in manner; but in substance it is not only insulting, but alarming.
Substantiality; solidity; firmness.
Material possessions; estate; property; resources.
- And there wasted his substance with riotous living.
*(RQ:Shakespeare Comedy of Errors)
(RQ:Swift The Conduct of the Allies, and of the late Ministry, in beginning and carrying on the present Wa)
- We are destroying many thousand lives, and exhausting our substance, but not for our own interest.
A form of matter that has constant chemical composition and characteristic properties.
To give substance to; to make real or substantial.