substance englannista suomeksi
substanssi, aine, materia
1699, (w), ''Heads designed for an essay on conversations''
- Study gives strength to the mind; conversation, grace: the first apt to give stiffness, the other suppleness: one gives substance and form to the statue, the other polishes it.
The essential part of anything; the most vital part.
- Heroic virtue did his actions guide, / And he the substance, not the appearance, chose.
- This edition is the same in substance with the Latin.
1796, (w), ''(w)''
- It is insolent in words, in manner; but in substance it is not only insulting, but alarming.
Substantiality; solidity; firmness.
Material possessions; estate; property; resources.
- And there wasted his substance with riotous living.
(RQ:Shakespeare Comedy of Errors)
(RQ:Swift Conduct of the Allies)
A form of matter that has constant chemical composition and characteristic properties.
To give substance to; to make real or substantial.
(quote-book)|location2=Toronto, Ont.|publisher2=(w)|year2=1978|passage=God demyth vs vpon oure kyndely substance, whych is evyr kepte one in hym, hole and safe w''ith''out ende;|translation=God judges us according to our true essence, which he keeps inside himself, whole and safe, always.|footer=(small)|year=2013|year_published=2014|section=“Human Judgment”|page=111|isbn=9781848255951.