situation englannista suomeksi
The combination of circumstances at a given moment; a of affairs.
The way in which something is positioned vis-à-vis its surroundings.
(RQ:Grahame Wind in the Willows)he being naturally an underground animal by birth and breeding, the situation of Badger's house exactly suited him and made him feel at home; while the Rat, who slept every night in a bedroom the windows of which opened on a breezy river, naturally felt the atmosphere still and oppressive.
The place in which something is situated; a location.
1833, Thomas Hibbert and Robert Buist, ''The American Flower Garden Directory'', page 142:
- ''Hibíscus speciòsus'' is the most splendid, and deserves a situation in every garden.
A position of employment; a post.
(RQ:Lawrence Sons and Lovers)
1946, Vaughn Horton, Denver Darling, Milt Gabler, ''Choo Choo Ch'Boogie|Choo Choo Ch'Boogie'':
- You take a morning paper from the top of the stack
- And read the situations from the front to the back
- The only job that's open need a man with a knack
- So put it right back in the rack Jack.
A difficult or unpleasant set of circumstances; a problem.
An individual theater.
1950, United States. Congress. House. Committee on Ways and Means, ''Revenue Revision of 1950: Hearings Before the Committee'' (page 1805)
- This survey includes all key situations (including Paramount Gulf Theaters) as well as suburban runs and small-town situations.
1960, ''Motion Picture Herald'' (volumes 218-219, page 14)
- (..) Craterian theatre, with a full-scale advance campaign and preliminary screenings held for opinion-makers. Results and reactions will be closely studied and, if popular, the idea will be extended to other situations.
(l) (gloss) (attention)
(l), of affairs