pearl englannista suomeksi
A shelly concretion, usually rounded, and having a brilliant luster, with varying tints, found in the mantle, or between the mantle and shell, of certain bivalve mollusks, especially in the pearl oysters and river mussels, and sometimes in certain univalves. It is usually due to a secretion of shelly substance around some irritating foreign particle. Its substance is the same as nacre, or mother-of-pearl. Round lustrous pearls are used in jewellery.
1920, (w), ''Bulldog Drummond'' Chapter 1
- Hugh helped himself to bacon. "My dear fellow, she can think what she likes so long as she continues to grill bacon like this. Your wife is a treasure, James—a pearl amongst women; and you can tell her so with my love."
A whitish speck or film on the eye.
1641, (w), ''Animadversions upon The Remonstrants Defence Against Smectymnuus'', Section III.
A light-colored tern.
1635, Douay Rheims Bible, Proverbs 20:15
- There is gold, and multitude of pearles: but a precious vessel the lips of knowledge.
2010, Richard Knight, ''Simple Fantasies Can Come True'' (page 10)
- My mouth and tongue finally find her pearl. Her clitoris.
To set or adorn with pearls, or with mother-of-pearl.
To cause to resemble pearls in shape; to make into small round grains.
To cause to resemble pearls in lustre or iridescence.
1993, ''New Scientist'' (volume 139, page 62)
- A Teaching Company Scheme developing new technology for pearling light bulbs was established in October (..)
To resemble pearl or pearls.
To hunt for pearls
To sink the nose of one's surfboard into the water, often on takeoff.
1999, Joanne VanMeter https://web.archive.org/web/20071027111258/http://www.letsplay.net/archive99/020399.shtml:
- Used a pointed tip today and learned why I kept pearling with my round tipped board. Round noses like to dig into the water, causing frustrating wipeouts.
Of the nose of the surfboard: to sink in this manner.
2017, Jian, ''Sh-Boom: The Way of the World''
- He couldn't even turn the board or raise the nose. Consequently, the board pearled, nose-dived into the water, throwing Lee off almost like being thrown from a horse. But he persisted.