kennel englannista suomeksi
viedä koira kenneliin
''– We want to look at the dog kennels.– That's the pet department, second floor.''
(c.) published 1568, (w), ''Againſt venemous tongues enpoyſoned with ſclaunder and falſe detractions &c.'':
- A fals double tunge is more fiers and fellThen Cerberus the cur couching in the kenel of hel;Wherof hereafter, I thinke for to write,Of fals double tunges in the diſpite.
A facility at which dogs are reared or boarded.
''The town dog-catcher operates the kennel for strays.''
''She raises registered Dalmatians at her kennel. ''
The dogs kept at such a facility; a pack of hounds.
- A world of mere Patent-Digesters will soon have nothing to digest: such world ends, and by Law of Nature must end, in ‘over-population;’ in howling universal famine, ‘impossibility,’ and suicidal madness, as of endless dog-kennels run rabid.
The hole of a fox or other animal.
To house or board a dog (or less commonly another animal).
''While we're away our friends will kennel our pet poodle.''
To lie or lodge; to dwell, as a dog or a fox.
To drive (a fox) to covert in its hole.
1819, John Mayer, ''The Sportsman's Directory, or Park and Gamekeeper's Companion''
- This is the time that the horseman are flung out, not having the cry to lead them to the death. When quadruped animals of the venery or hunting kind are at rest, the stag is said to be harboured, the buck lodged, the fox kennelled, the badger earthed, the otter vented or watched, the hare formed, and the rabbit set.
(quote-book)|title=(w)|section=Act 4, Scene 1|passage=Ay, kennel, puddle, sink, whose filth and dirt / Troubles the silver spring where England drinks (..).
1716, (w), ''(w)'', Book I:
- "Soon shall the Kennels swell with rapid Streams, / And rush in muddy Torrents to the Thames."
*1751, (w), ''The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle'', vol. IV, ch. 102:
- A chair happening to pass, he laid hold of the opportunity, and by an exertion of his muscles pitched upon the top of the carriage, which was immediately overturned in the kennel (..).