search englannista suomeksi
2012 October 31, David M. Halbfinger, "http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/nyregion/new-jersey-continues-to-cope-with-hurricane-sandy.html?hp," ''New York Times'' (retrieved 31 October 2012):
- At least eight people died, and officials expressed deep concerns that the toll would rise as more searches of homes were carried out.
The act of searching in general.
To look in (a place) for something.
To look thoroughly.
- It sufficeth that they have once with care and fairness sifted the matter as far as they could, and searched into all the particulars.
(RQ:Marshall Squire's Daughter)
- He tried to persuade Cicely to stay away from the ball-room for a fourth dance.(..)But she said she must go back, and when they joined the crowd again(..)she found her mother standing up before the seat on which she had sat all the evening searching anxiously for her with her eyes, and her father by her side.
(quote-journal)| title=The rise of smart beta| passage=Investors face a quandary. Cash offers a return of virtually zero in many developed countries; government-bond yields may have risen in recent weeks but they are still unattractive. Equities have suffered two big bear markets since 2000 and are wobbling again. It is hardly surprising that pension funds, insurers and endowments are searching for new sources of return.
1590, (w), ''(w)'', III.vi:
- To search the God of loue, her Nymphes she sent / Throughout the wandring forrest euery where(nb..).
- For thus saith the Lord (smallcaps); Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.
- Now torne we to the xj kynges that retorned vnto a cyte that hyghte Sorhaute / the whiche cyte was within kynge Vryens / and ther they refresshed hem as wel as they myght / and made leches serche theyr woundys and sorowed gretely for the dethe of her peple
1588, (w), ''(w)'', II.3:
- Now to the bottome dost thou search my wound.
1590, (w), ''(w)'', III.4:
- Thus when they all had sorowed their fill, / They softly gan to search his griesly wownd(nb..).
(RQ:Florio Montaigne Essayes).
To examine; to try; to put to the test.