haze englannista suomeksi
utu, auer, autere
Very fine solid particles (smoke, dust) or liquid droplets (moisture) suspended in the air, slightly limiting visibility. (q), (m).
1772 December, James Cook, ''A Voyage Towards the South Pole and Around the World'', vol. 1 ch. 2:
- Our hopes, however, soon vanished; for before eight o'clock, the serenity of the sky was changed into a thick haze, accompanied with rain.
A reduction of transparency of a clear gas or liquid.
An analogous dullness on a surface that is ideally highly reflective or transparent.
Any state suggestive of haze in the atmosphere, such as mental confusion or vagueness of memory.
1957, (w), ''Scapegoat (novel)|The Scapegoat'' http://books.google.com/books?id=cf4-iVG03pEC, (ISBN), page 218:
- In my haze of alcohol, I thought for one crazy instant that he had plumbed my secret.
(quote-av), (w), and (w)|director=(w)|actor=(w)|role=Valkyrie|title=(w)|year=2017|text=I've spent years in a haze, trying to forget my past. Sakaar seemed like the best place to drink, and to forget... and to die, one day.
1998, Leonard I. Nass and Charles A. Heiberger, ''Encyclopedia of PVC'' http://books.google.com/books?id=mDe7EidmglIC&, (ISBN), page 318:
- Haze is listed as a percent value and, typically, is about 1% for meat film.
1985, Philip Jackisch, ''Modern Winemaking'' http://books.google.com/books?id=Zf-24UvvT4oC, (ISBN), page 69:
- Various clarifying and fining agents are used in winemaking to remove hazes.
(quote-text)|title=The Understanding Heart|chapter=I|passage=(..) when the young man whirled his horse, “hazed” Jupiter in circles and belaboured him with a rawhide quirt, (..) He ceased his cavortings (..)
To use aversive stimuli on (a wild animal, such as a bear) to encourage it to keep its distance from humans.
2016, Annie Zak, "https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2016/07/18/brown-bear-seriously-injured-in-hazing-attempt-in-southeast-alaska/ Brown bear seriously injured in 'hazing' attempt in Southeast Alaska", ''Anchorage Daily News'', 18 July 2016:
- Hazing a bear involves creating a "negative experience for a bear that seeks out human food or loses its natural avoidance of humans and developed areas," the release said. That involves using non-lethal rubber shotgun slugs, or rubber rounds and noise-deterrent rounds in sequence to scare bears away, according to the release.