wait englannista suomeksi
- Awed with these words, in camps they still abide, / And wait with longing looks their promised guide.
1992, (w), ''A Place of Greater Safety'', Harper Perennial 2007, page 30:
- The Court had assembled, to wait events, in the huge antechamber known as the Œil de Boeuf.
(RQ:Milton Poems 1673)
- Haste, my dear father; 'tis no time to wait.
(quote-book)| title=(w)|chapter=4| passage=No matter how early I came down, I would find him on the veranda, smoking cigarettes, or otherwise his man would be there with a message to say that his master would shortly join me if I would kindly wait.
- He chose a thousand horse, the flower of all / His warlike troops, to wait the funeral.
1714, (w), ''The Tragedy of Jane Shore''
- Remorse and heaviness of heart shall wait thee, / And everlasting anguish be thy portion.
''to wait dinner''
1957,Dagny Taggart and Francisco d'Anconia, Ayn Rand's ''Atlas Shrugged''
- She did not question him. Before leaving, she asked only, "When will I see you again?" He answered, "I don't know. Don't wait for me, Dagny. Next time we meet, you will not want to see me."
1974, (w), ''(w)''
- ''I will wait / Even if it takes forever / I will wait / Even if it takes a lifetime''
''I had a very long wait at the airport security check.''
''They lay in wait for the patrol.''
One who watches; a watchman.
Hautboys, or oboes, played by town musicians.
- Hark! are the waits abroad?
1819-1820, (w), ''The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon''
- The sound of the waits, rude as may be their minstrelsy, breaks upon the mild watches of a winter night with the effect of perfect harmony.