skittish englannista suomeksi
''The cat likes people he knows, but he is skittish around strangers.''
1557, (w), ''Sermons Very Fruitfull, Godly, and Learned'', London: Robert Caly, The fiftenth treatice or Sermon,http://name.umdl.umich.edu/A21119.0001.001
- All such be like a skittish starting horse, whiche coming ouer a bridge, wil start for a shadowe, or for a stone lying by him, and leapeth ouer on the other side into the water, & drowneth both horse and man.
(circa) (w), ''(w)'', Act III, Scene 3,http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/play_view.php?WorkID=troilus&Scope=entire&pleasewait=1&msg=pl
- How some men creep in skittish fortune’s hall,
- Whiles others play the idiots in her eyes!
1785, (w), ''(w)'', London: J. Johnson, Book 2, p.(nbs)69,http://name.umdl.umich.edu/004792652.0001.000
- (..) ’Tis pitiful
- To court a grin, when you should wooe a soul;
- To break a jest, when pity would inspire
- Pathetic exhortation; and t’ address
- The skittish fancy with facetious tales,
- When sent with God’s commission to the heart.
Difficult to manage; tricky.
1872, (w), ''(w)'', Book 2, Chapter(nbs)15,http://www.gutenberg.org/files/145/145-h/145-h.htm
- For everybody’s family doctor was remarkably clever, and was understood to have immeasurable skill in the management and training of the most skittish or vicious diseases.