obtain englannista suomeksi
1526, (w), trans. ''Bible'', Luke XVIII:
- And a certayne ruler axed him: sayinge: Goode Master: what ought I to do, to obtaine eternall lyfe?
(RQ:Austen Mansfield Park) Julia was quite as eager for novelty and pleasure as Maria, though she might not have struggled through so much to obtain them, and could better bear a subordinate situation.
(quote-journal)|date=21 June 2013|volume=189|issue=2|page=48|passage=But the real way to build a successful online business is to be better than your rivals at undermining people's control of their own attention. Partly, this is a result of how online advertising has traditionally worked: advertisers pay for clicks, and a click is a click, however it's obtained.
1722, (w), ''(w)'':
- he was condemned to die for the felony, and being so well known for an old offender, had certainly died, but the merchant, upon his earnest application, had obtained that he should be transported, on condition that he restored all the rest of his bills, which he had done accordingly.
1590, (w), ''(w)'', III.2:
- “O daughter deare!” (said she) “despeire no whit; / For never sore but might a salve obtain ....”
1701, (w), ''Contests and Dissentions in Athens and Rome'':
- This, though it failed at present, yet afterward obtained, and was a mighty step to the ruin of the commonwealth.
(RQ:Milton Paradise Regained)
To exist or be the case; to hold true, be in force. (defdate)
1908, (w), ''(w)'', Iron Heel/Chapter XVII|ChapterXVII,
- Even though the Pervaise confession had never come to light, no reasonable doubt could obtain; for the act in question (..) was on a par with countless other acts committed by the oligarchs, and, before them, by the capitalists.
1992, (w), ''(w)'', Bantam Spectra, p. 460,
- But the hostage situation no longer obtains, and so Uncle Enzo feels it important to stop Rife now, (..)