hip englannista suomeksi
(quote-book)|title=General Specifications for Highway Bridges of Iron and Steel|passage=in all bridges preference will be given to designs having struts for hip verticals
A addict, especially someone addicted to a narcotic like heroin.
1953, William Burroughs, ''Junkie'':
- Ike explained to me that the Mexican government issued permits to hips allowing them a definite quantity of morphine per month at wholesale prices.
To use one's hips to bump into someone.
To throw (one's adversary) over one's hip ("cross-buttock").
To dislocate or sprain the hip of, to fracture or injure the hip bone of (a quadruped) in such a manner as to produce a permanent depression of that side.
To make with a hip or hips, as a roof.
1595, (w), ''The Old Wives' Tale (play)|The Old Wives’ Tale'', The Malone Society Reprints, 1908, lines 175-178,https://archive.org/details/oldwivestale00peeluoft
- 1. BROTHER. (..) What doo you gather there?
- OLD MAN. Hips and Hawes, and stickes and strawes, and thinges that I gather on the ground my sonne.
c. 1607, (w), ''(w)'', Act IV, Scene 3,https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Life_of_Timon_of_Athens
- The oaks bear mast, the briars scarlet hips;
- The bounteous housewife, Nature, on each bush
- Lays her full mess before you.
(quote-song)|year=1971|album=Blue|title=Blue|passage=Everybody's saying that / Hell's the hippest way to go / Well, I don't think so / But I'm gonna take a look around it, though
(quote-journal)|title=Ragged but Funny|journal=(w)|date=1975-10-27|volume=8|issue=43|page=(gbooks)|passage=“Saturday Night” has an explicitly hip, cynical outlook, coupled with an impressive amount of freedom.
- Rudolph promoted Stevens Pass with restless zeal. In seven years there, he helped turn a relatively small, roadside ski area into a hip destination.
To inform, to make knowledgeable.
(quote-book)|page=90|author=(w)|year=1958|passage=No doubt, too, Sand must have hipped him quietly in a whisper somewhere what was happening with the lover
(quote-book)|page=78|author=(w)|year=1964|passage=She's a volunteer, hipped on civil rights, another do-gooder, evidently with a private pile since she takes no pay
(quote-book)|year=1969|passage=She went ape over Chris. She'd go downtown and come home with shopping bags loaded with fine dresses and underclothes for herself and her sisters. Later she hipped Chris to boosting