discourse englannista suomeksi
1847, (w), (w), Chapter XVIII
- Two or three of the gentlemen sat near him, and I caught at times scraps of their conversation across the room. At first I could not make much sense of what I heard; for the discourse of Louisa Eshton and Mary Ingram, who sat nearer to me, confused the fragmentary sentences that reached me at intervals.
''The preacher gave us a long discourse on duty.''
Any rational expression, reason.
1692, (w), ''A Discourse Concerning The General Resurrection On Acts xxiv. 15''
- difficult, strange, and harsh to the discourses of natural reason
2008, Jane Anna Gordon, Lewis Gordon, ''A Companion to African-American Studies'' (page 308)
- But equally important to the emergence of uniquely African-American queer discourses is the refusal of African-American movements for liberation to address adequately issues of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Good Captain Bessus, tell us the discourse / Betwixt Tigranes and our king, and how / We got the victory.
To exercise reason; to employ the mind in judging and inferring; to reason.
c. 1599, (w), ''(w)'', Act III, Scene 2, http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/play_view.php?WorkID=hamlet&Scope=entire&pleasewait=1&msg=pl
- Hamlet. (..) Will you play upon this pipe? (..) It is as easy as lying. Govern these ventages with your fingers and thumbs, give it breath with your mouth, and it will discourse most eloquent music.
1911, (w), ''Golden Bough|The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion'', Volume II, Part II, Chapter V, p. 233, http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41832/41832-h/41832-h.html
- Music discoursed on that melodious instrument, a Jew's harp, keeps the elfin women away from the hunter, because the tongue of the instrument is of steel.
1915, (w), ''The Secret Play'', New York: D. Appleton & Co., Chapter XXIII, p. 300 https://archive.org/details/secretplay00barbgoog
- Dahl's Silver Cornet Band, augmented for the occasion to the grand total of fourteen pieces, discoursed sweet—well, discoursed music; let us not be too particular as to the quality of it.