contraband englannista suomeksi
A black slave during the American Civil War who had escaped to, or been captured by, Union forces.
1988, James McPherson, ''Battle Cry of Freedom'', Oxford 2003, p. 497:
- While some Yanks treated contrabands with a degree of equity or benevolence, the more typical response was indifference, contempt, or cruelty.
prohibited from being traded
1940 – The Code of Federal Regulations of the United States of America: Having ... – Division of the Federal Register, the National Archives – Page 2191
- "... when the seizure is made in connection with a violation involving a contraband article covered by section 1 (b) (1) of the said Act; ..."
1953 – United States, United States. President, United States. Congress – United States Code Congressional and Administrative News – Page 2039
- "The exclusion of mandatory payment of moieties for seizures of contraband controlled substances is accomplished through Section 17 of the bill, ..."
1899 – Albert William Chaster – The Powers, Duties and Liabilities of Executive Officers as Between These ... – Stevens and Haynes – Page 55
- "4. Contraband goods may be seized if found in a river before they are landed or offered for sale."
- The law severely contrabands / Our taking business off men's hands.