commence englannista suomeksi
1601, (w), ''(w)'',http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/poems/poem_view.php?WorkID=phoenixturtle
- Here the anthem doth commence:
1770, (w), “(w)” in ''The Miscellaneous Works of Oliver Goldsmith'', London: W. Griffin, 1775, p. 164,http://name.umdl.umich.edu/004897243.0001.000
- His heaven commences ere the world be past!
1851, (w), ''(w)'', Chapter 4,http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2701/2701-h/2701-h.htm
- He commenced dressing at top by donning his beaver hat, a very tall one, by the by, and then—still minus his trowsers—he hunted up his boots.
To begin to be, or to act as.
1743, (w), ''The Pleasant, and Surprizing Adventures of Mr. Robert Drury, during his Fifteen Years Captivity on the Island of Madagascar'', London, p. 126,https://archive.org/details/pleasantandsurp00drurgoog
- (..) he furnish’d me with a Gun, Cartouch-box, and Powder-horn, ''&c''. and thus accouter’d I commenc’d Soldier.
1825, (w), ''Aids to Reflection in the Formation of a Manly Character'', London: Taylor & Hessey, Prudential Aphorisms, Aphorism 15, p. 48,https://archive.org/details/aidstoreflection03cole
- When we are wearied of the trouble of prosecuting crimes at the bar, we commence judges ourselves (..)
1655, (w), ''The Church-History of Britain'', London: John Williams, The Seventh Century, p. 75,http://name.umdl.umich.edu/A40655.0001.001
- (..) I question whether the Formality of Commencing was used in that Age: inclining rather to the negative, that such Distinction of ''Graduates'' was then unknown (..)
1861, George John Gray, ''Athenae Cantabrigienses: 1586-1609'' (page 272)
- (..) was admitted a minor fellow of his college 4 Oct. 1591, a major fellow 11 March 1591-2, and commenced M.A. in 1592.