castle englannista suomeksi
An instance of castling.
Any strong, imposing, and stately mansion.
A small tower, as on a ship, or an elephant's back.
1966, Gurdeep Singh, ''Cricket in Northern India'' (page 59)
- Nay, he was quite an adept, and was very effective as a change bowler, for in no time he demolished the castle of any batsman.
1611, John Florio, ''Queen Anna's New World of Words'', s.v. "Castellare":
- ...to encastle, to Castle.
1871, Browning|Robert Browning, "Prince Hohenstiel-Schwangau, Saviour of Society", 116:
- ...Some fierce tribe, castled on the mountain-peak...
1655, William Gurnall, ''The Christian in Compleat Armour'', 1st Pt., 32:
- Castle me in the armes of thy everlasting strength.
(c.) Chaucer|Geoffrey Chaucer, ''Canterbury Tales'', "The Parson's Tale":
To move the king 2 squares right or left and, in the same turn, the nearest rook to the far side of the king. The move now has special rules: the king cannot be in, go through, or end in check; the squares between the king and rook must be vacant; and neither piece may have been moved before castling.
1656, Francis Beale translating Gioachino Greco as ''The Royall Game of Chesse-Play, Being the Study of Biochimo'', p. 8:
- He the king may change (or Castle) with this Rooke, that is, he may goe two draughts at once towards this Rooke... causing the Rooke to stand next to him on either side.
1835, William Lewis, ''Chess for Beginners'', Ch. 5, p. (gbooks):
- No. 24. ¶ If your adversary make a false move, castle improperly, &c., you must take notice of such irregularity before you move, or even touch a piece, or you are no longer allowed to inflict any penalties.
2009, ''BBC Sport'', "Lightning Bolt Blows Over Gayle":
- And the 23-year-old brought the crowd to their feet when he castled Gayle's stumps, signalling the direction of the pavilion to his friend for good measure.
2011, Firdose Moonda, ''ESPNcricinfo'', "A Day for Missed Hat-tricks":
- He bowled Vinay with a full, straight ball that castled off stump and then dished up a yorker that RP Singh backed away to and sent onto his stumps.