boy englannista suomeksi
kaveri, kundi, jätkä
1440, ''Promptorium Parvulorum'', 35:
- Bye or boye: ''Bostio''.
1711 March 7, Swift|Jonathan Swift, ''Journal'', line 208:
- I find I was mistaken in the sex, 'tis a boy.
- Ah! happy years! once more who would not be a boy?
1876, Frances Eliza Millett Notley, https://books.google.com/books?id=qhcCAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover ''The Kiddle-a-Wink'', "A Tale of Love", page 169:
- "He is not quite a baby, Alfred," said Ellen, "though he is only a big stupid boy. We have made him miserable enough. Let us leave him alone."
(RQ:Scott Lay of the Last Minstrel)
1608, (w), ''(w)'', Act I Scene 4:
- Dost thou call me fool, boy?
(circa) ''King Horn'', line 1075:
1973, Pynchon|Thomas Pynchon, ''Gravity's Rainbow|Gravity's Rainbow'', i, 37:
- ‘Why does he go out and pinch all his dogs in person? He's an administrator, isn't he? Wouldn't he hire a boy or something?’‘We call them “staff”,’ Roger replies.
1721, Penelope Aubin, ''The Life of Madam de Beaumount'', ii, 36:
- I resolved to continue in the Cave, with my two Servants, my Maid, and a Boy, whom I had brought from France.
1625, W. Hawkins in Samuel Purchas, ''Hakluytus Posthumus or Purchas his Pilgrimes'', Vol. I, iii, vii, 211:
- My Boy Stephen Grauener.
1834, Edward Markham, ''New Zealand or Recollections of It'', 72:
- They picked out two of the strongest of the Boys (as they call the Men) about the place.
1876, Ebenezer Thorne, https://books.google.com/books?id=IdkNAAAAQAAJ ''The Queen of the Colonies, or, Queensland as I Knew It'', 58:
- The blacks who work on a station or farm are always, like the blacks in the Southern States, called boys.
1907 May 13, ''N.Y. Evening Post'', 6:
- Shanghai, The register clerk assigns you to a room, and instead of ‘Front!’ he shouts ‘Boy!’
1960 February 5, ''Northern Territory News'', 5/5:
- Aborigine Wally... described himself as ‘number one boy’ at the station.
1572, John Sadler translating Flavius Vegetius Renatus, ''Foure Bookes... Contayninge a Plaine Forme, and Perfect Knowledge of Martiall Policye...'', iii, vii:
- If any water be rough and boysterous, or the chanell verye broade, it manye times drowneth the carriages and the boyes and nowe and then slouthfull and lyther souldiours.
1600, Shakespeare|William Shakespeare, ''The Cronicle History of Henry the Fift...'', Act IV, Scene vii, 1:
1812, Anne Plumptre translating Hinrich Lichtenstein, ''Travels in Southern Africa, in the Years 1803, 1804, 1805, and 1806'', Vol. I, i, viii, 119:
- A Hottentot... expects to be called by his name if addressed by any one who knows it; and by those to whom it is not known he expects to be called Hottentot... or boy.
1888, Louis Diston Powles, ''Land of Pink Pearl, or Recollections of Life in the Bahamas'', 66:
- Every darky, however old, is a boy.
1973 September 8, ''Black Panther'', 7/2:
- Alabama, Guards still use the term ‘boy’ to refer to Black prisoners.
1979, (w) and (w), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWKyDGGptA4 ''The Logie Awards'':
- ''BN:'' ''repeating a catchphrase'' I like the boy.''MA:'' ''to hostile audience'' Hold it, hold it, hold it. Easy. Did you say ‘Roy’ or ‘boy’?''BN:'' ‘I like the boy’. There's nothing wrong with saying that... Hang on, hang on, hang on... I'll change religion, I'll do anything for ya, I don't bloody care... What's wrong with saying that? ‘I like the boy’?''MA:'' Boy...''BN:'' I mean, I like the man. I'm sorry, Muhammad.
''C'mere, boy! Good boy! Who's a good boy?''
''Are you getting a boy cat or a girl cat?''
1841 May 6, ''Times'' in London, 5/4:
- Wounded... 1 Boy, 1st class, severely.
1963 April 30, ''Times'' in London, 16/2:
- He joined the Navy as a boy second class in 1898.
A male (tree, gene, etc).
- Are there “boy” trees and “girl” trees? Yes. A number of species, among them the yew, holly and date-bearing palm, have their male and female flowers on different trees. The male holly, for instance, must be planted fairly close to the female ...
1970 1963, Helen V. Wilson, Helen Van Pelt, ''Helen Van Pelt's African Violets'', Dutton Adult ((ISBN)):
- Of the 100 percent total, 25 will have two girl genes, 50 will have one boy and one girl gene, and 25 will have two boy genes.
To use the word “boy” to refer to someone.
To act as a boy (qualifier).
(alternative form of)
a male domestic servant, especially one with a darker skin in a colony
(l) (non-white male servant)
*1930, (w), ''La Voie royale'':
- Claude allait l'ouvrir mais le ton sur lequel le délégué appelait son boy lui fit lever la tête : l'auto attendait, bleue sous l'ampoule de la porte; le boy, qui s'était écarté – en voyant arriver le délégué sans doute – se rapprochait, hésitant.
young male servant, low-position assistant
a bellboy (qualifier)
a young, upper-class male
(obsolete spelling of)
(q) (topics) (l)
or (m) (c) fenugreek
shoulder (of an animal)